As early as 1944, there was on-going correspondence with the authorities recognising the need for a new and permanent school (for deaf children) in Auckland.
In August 1945 the Minister of Education, the Hon HGR Mason, approved the purchase of 26 acres at New Lynn (Kelston) with plans for ten classrooms to be erected as soon as possible. It was not until 1956 - eleven years later - that building was to start.
By 1958 the new classrooms were ready for use.
Extract: "Celebrating 50 years of Deaf Schools in Auckland 1942-1992"