This department is designed to provide access to the curriculum, support, teaching Programmes and preparation for leaving school students in Year 13 - 15.
Students are enrolled at Kelston Deaf Education Centre.
Students are able to follow their chosen learning pathway that allows them to make career choices.
The Transition Department classes specialise in teaching Health and wellbeing, NZSL/Deaf Studies and South Pacific Education courses. Supported by Literacy and numeracy Programmes.
They provide opportunities for work experience and opportunities to take different courses from outside providers.
Our staff include:
Teachers’ of the Deaf, Educational Interpreters, Educational Associates and Language assistants—according to student need.
Our role in this department is to provide:
· Access to the New Zealand curriculum
· A safe environment
· An environment conducive to learning
· Encouragement towards being independent
We provide opportunities for students to:
· Take part in activities outside of Kelston Deaf Education Centre
· Join a sports’ team
· Belong to a cultural group
· Take part in evenings that are supported by the community
· Take part in and be part of activities relating to Kelston Deaf Education Centre
· Be part of a supportive network for young men and women